Search
  • France Papillon

Butterfly Squad creative team inspiration: Jane


Hello lovely Butterflies,

Thank you so much to each and everyone of you who spread some love leaving a comment on Butterfly Squad member Natascha last week! It is one thing to put yourself out there, it is another to show just how vulnerable one can be. Even if we all are, showing it to all is a scary thing. I'm so grateful I have a team who goes for it all the way and that we have this loving Butterfly community where we support each others journaling adventures!

Today it's Butterfly Squad member Jane's turn and she is a talent when it comes to altered art! There's no doubt you will enjoy her tutorial! This is what she has for you:

I have to admit I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to objects that I think may make interesting craft projects, and I now have many stashed away in my craft cupboard! Last year I put away a mackerel tin that I thought would be good to use and that is what I decided on as the base for this project.

I started by using texture sand paste to create texture and alter the surface of the tin, then once that was dry painted the whole thing using white gesso…


Next I added colour by watering down fluid acrylic paints to create washes. To stop the colours from muddying I made sure to dry between layers. I wanted some extra shine so dry brushed gold paint across the project as well…


Then I wanted to add some detail to the outside of the tin. This was done by stamping one of the script stamps from ‘London New York’ onto tissue paper using a permanent inkpad. Once this had been torn into strips I adhered them to the tin using decoupage glue…


To create the inside panel for the tin I drew around it onto a piece of card. After colouring the card in the same way as the tin it was stamped with the script stamp. To finish off I mixed some gold paint into clear modelling paste and then used this through the ‘Driving me Circles’ stencil…


For the focal points of the project I stamped the bee from ‘Creepers and Crawlers’, the poet from ‘Kevin and So’ and a sentiment from ‘How Shall I put it’. Once they were cut out I coloured them using watercolour paints. To make the bees a bit more special I coated the wings with liquid glass and sprinkled some fine glitter into them whilst they were still wet. The sentiment was also mounted onto some cambric for more texture…


Once all the pieces were dry I stuck my piece of card into the tin and added some micro beads before sticking all the pieces together using a strong glue gel…


I hope you enjoyed my altered project and maybe you could find something unusual to use in your crafting projects. If you have used something very different we would love to hear about it in the comments.

Thank you for looking and see you again soon, happy crafting!

Jane xx

Products used:

France Papillon stamps: click on the image to shop!





France Papillon stencils: click on the image to shop!


Cambric: click on the image to shop!


Decoart – Texture Sand Paste; White Gesso; Clear Modelling Paste; Liquid Glass; Glamour Dust (Crystal); Media Line Fluid Acrylic (Primary Yellow, Cobalt Teal Hue, Primary Magenta, Dazzling Gold Metallics)

Other – Empty Tin; Staz On Jet Black Inkpad; Tissue Paper; Watercolour Paints; Micro Beads


#BSct #IllusionaryArtists #DecoArt #Francesstamps #Jane #Francesstencils

  • facebook.png
  • twitter.png
  • youtube.png
  • instagram.png
  • pinterest.png

follow me on

 

All content of this site are Copyright © 2011 - 2018 by France Papillon. All rights reserved. Design by France Papillon